The Civic Tech Innovation Network (CTIN) in partnership with EndCode hosted a webinar on threats to democracy in Subsaharan Africa
The session focused on three sub-themes:
Fake news, misinformation and disinformation (and their agendas) as a threat to democracy
- Including media suppression
Internet shutdowns - internet governance
- Digital rights
- Recourse for citizens, where can civic tech come in, civil society,
- How can organisations such as civic tech organisations, civil society organisations etc band together and fight threats to democracy through technology?
Access to information
- How can Africans enjoy the full benefits of the internet especially during the pandemic?
- How technology can improve or undermine democracy depending on how it is used and who controls it.