KEY INDIVIDUAL(s)

Leah Mwikali Mwangi

WHO CAN BENEFIT FROM
THIS CASE STUDY

Policy / decision-makers
Practitioners / professionals
Technical people
Civic Tech initiatives
Communities

KEY CATEGORIES

Health Tech

Access to information

CONTACT CTIN

CASE STUDY

Zuri Health: A virtual health assistant

TYPE OF ORGANISATION RESPONSIBLE FOR THE INITIATIVE

NAME

EMAIL

WEBSITE

ZuriHealth

https://zuri.health/contact-us/

STATUS

COUNTRY

FOUNDING DATE

Live

Kenya

2020

N/A

BRIEF OVERVIEW OF CASE STUDY

Zuri Health is a mobile app that helps patients to access and book certified healthcare services on-demand based on availability, location and specialization of medical practitioners.

WHAT WAS THE PROBLEM AND THE APPROACH TO THE PROBLEM?

There are millions of Africans who still do not have access to quality medical care. There was a gap in the community for a platform that enabled doctors wider and easier access to reach their patients. Zuri Health is committed to ensuring that the underserved populace can now access affordable and sustainable healthcare.

The Approach

Zuri Health created an all-inclusive service that caters for all individuals with a mobile device, regardless of their location, health history and social status.

Considering that smartphone adoption in Sub-Saharan Africa is currently at 40% of total mobile phone owners, Zuri Health added extra functionality that would include the rest of the 60% that do not own phones that have internet access. Ensuring no one is left out!

Zuri Health is a comprehensive mobile health app on the continent. Its services include a virtual hospital that gives patients the opportunity to chat with a doctor, buy medication from a pharmacy, book labs and diagnostic tests and have a doctor visit you at home

What played out and why? (story, enablers / obstacles, successes / challenges, assessment…)

“Zuri Health is probably the most comprehensive mobile health app on the continent. It is a virtual hospital that gives patients the opportunity to chat with a doctor, buy medication from a pharmacy, book labs and diagnostic tests and have a doctor visit you at home.” Zuri Health co-founder and project manager, Daisy Isiaho.

“Zuri Health also takes into cognisance Africa’s unique challenges and offers first level doctor consultation via SMS and the cost is slightly higher than an average SMS. This takes care of the over 65% of the population without access to smart devices and the internet.”

Obstacles/Challenges
Zuri Health was founded during the early stages of worldwide lockdowns due to Covid-19. “It was very difficult building it out during the pandemic. It was hard securing funding, and also our developers in Nigeria had to battle with power and internet outages, which hindered the completion of our first product,” says Isiaho

At the moment, the Kenyan health tech startup plans to bootstrap their operations to profitability, whilst raising funds via convertible notes for the first year as they work towards a valuation for the business in 2022

Future Forecast

Since the beta launch in November 2020, the company’s predicted three-year growth plan is to have more than 20,000 registered doctors listed, 250,000 premium users and at least 1,000,000 mobile downloads. The company intends to scale into West and Southern Africa.

RELATED LINKS & DOWNLOADS

NOTE: The case studies submitted will be used in content creation, we will write articles on your work that engages with our readers. The case studies will also be compiled and added to our CTIN database of civic tech case studies and shared through our various channels.

NOTE: The case studies submitted will be used in content creation, we will write articles on your work that engages with our readers. The case studies will also be compiled and added to our CTIN database of civic tech case studies and shared through our various channels.